Silver has been used as jewellery for thousands of years and can come in many forms, from silver necklaces for men to intricately engraved rings for women. Despite being around for so long, it’s still one of the most misunderstood materials used in jewellery, especially sterling silver. Read on to find out some of the common myths about this type of silver known as “925 silver.”

What is Sterling Silver?

Sterling silver is what’s known as a metal alloy. This means that it was created using a combination of metals instead of just one single type of metal. Since it’s an alloy, sterling silver is made out of 92.5% silver, hence the name “925 silver”. The other 7.5% is made out of different kinds of metal, which is usually copper or zinc.

Pure silver is highly malleable, making it too soft to be used in jewellery making. For that reason, other metals are introduced into the composition to give it strength and durability. 925 silver is the most widely used silver alloy today, which is the closest we can get to pure 100% silver in terms of jewellery. Of course, it’s possible to make things out of pure silver, but it’s primarily used in wire form or as a commemorative coin.

Silver Myths Debunked

Myth #1: Sterling Silver is Pure Silver

As mentioned above, it’s not actually 100% made out of silver, but it’s already considered “pure” for legal purposes. But if you look at the actual composition of sterling silver jewellery, it’s not 100% pure silver. Even the purest form of silver, which is fine silver, is only 99.9% pure since it’s impossible to completely remove all the impurities in it.

Myth #2: Sterling Silver isn’t as Malleable as Pure Silver

While pure silver is definitely more malleable, it loses a lot of its strength, making it too soft for jewellery. Have you ever seen rings that can be bent by applying a moderate amount of force? That’s what happens with pure silver. By mixing other metals with silver, jewellery makers are able to produce rings, necklaces, and cuffs that are durable and long-lasting.

Myth #3: Sterling Silver is Indestructible

While it’s significantly stronger than pure silver, sterling silver is still considered a soft material that can bend easily if subjected to a strong impact or force. That’s the trick with jewellery making. You need a metal or an alloy that’s tough enough not to bend or break when worn but malleable enough when subjected to heat so it can be shaped into any form. Otherwise, if silver is too hard, it can’t be shaped into jewellery at all.

Myth #4: Sterling Silver is a Low-Quality Metal

This isn’t true at all. In fact, for the longest time, silver was considered to be second in value only to gold. Even today, silver is still regarded as a precious metal that’s highly valuable and is even stronger than gold. While gold is more valuable than silver, it’s actually a lot softer and more pliable than silver.


Silver is one of the most popular choices when it comes to jewellery. It has been a part of many cultures around the world and has since proven its worth for centuries. However, these myths often cause many people to be confused about the true nature of sterling silver and other types of metals.

RAWNINETY boasts of a magnificent collection of men’s and women’s accessories. From men’s pendant necklaces to women’s sterling silver rings, our selection of jewellery is crafted from ethically sourced materials. Check out some of the latest pieces in our collection today!